Sunday, March 7, 2010

Extreme Trail, Roping, "Real" Trail...

I went back to Shannon's for another Extreme Trail practice. The emphasis was on swinging a rope, roping a dummy or bale, and dragging a log. Tammy went this time and her son and his girlfriend met us there so we brought a full trailer load. It was more productive than the last time because this time, everyone's horses were pretty well schooled, not necessarily on trail obstacles, but on general handling. Cayenne and I finally conquered the teeter totter bridge to the point where she'd just stand on it after it "tottered." It was shorter one than others we've worked on and not as scary.

I practiced roping quite a bit. Cayenne was pretty content to stand and let me rope the bale over and over. I also drug the log and a blue barrel. She was fine with everything. Since everyone got done working the obstacles so soon, we went for a nice trail ride up in the hills. There was a lot of climbing so it was a great workout. The prancy dancy horses weren't prancing anymore! I made Cayenne follow most of the time so she doesn't get locked in the mindset that she's the leader all the time. She was a little antsy at times, especially after she got her second wind, but did fine.

It was fun taking just one horse but I get lots more accomplished when I take a few. The Cowgirl Co-Op should be opening back up in a few weeks so the practice will be held there.

No comments:

Post a Comment