Friday, April 30, 2010

New Foal!




Well, a lot has happened since the last post. Pepper had her foal April 21st at 1:30am. A solid noncharacteristic bay filly named "Peppy." The registration name I'm requesting for her is Peppy Zach O'lena. She is a cutie. I was not in attendance for her birth as Ransom and I were in Maine. We flew out early Monday morning, the 19th, as good friend, Jeff, was killed in a car accident. Ransom's brother, Zach, survived. Very sad circumstances but I won't blog about the ordeal. I always told Zach I would name a foal after him so I figured now is the time, especially since she won't be for sale.

I did okay at the Supreme Cowboy Race. I had received the bad news late the night before I rode so my mind and heart were not on the course. Smarty was really pushy but Cayenne did very well for her level of experience. She did all the obstacles including a drop into a big pool of water that looked a couple inches deep but was actually a couple feet deep. It was a good course with lots of variety and fun obstacles. I'm not sure how many horses competed but I think there were 18-20 in the open class. Cayenne placed 6th and Smarty 7th. There were a lot of very good horses and riders there so it was a treat to watch what I did catch. The trip was a little over 900 miles round trip and I pushed steady for home, stopping only once in Ritzville for fuel and to let my dog go potty. Wonderful friends already had my horses fed and watered and the barn lights on to welcome me home! I pretty much put my horses away, completed some college homework assignments that were due online, slept for a couple hours and headed for the airport.

There was quite a crew caring for my horses. Twelve in all including customer horses. They didn't just feed and water, they cleaned stalls and paddocks, exercised the dogs, monitored Pepper's progress and then made sure she and the new foal were doing well. It was really nice having so many caring people to watch over everything while we were gone! My dad even slept in Pepper's stall and video taped Peppy's birth so I could see it when I got home! What a crew!

Quincy, my friend Tammy's mare, also foaled while we were gone. She had an exceptional filly by Smarty that is probably the best looking one I've seen by him! The filly is black with some white spots on the top of her hips. She has a deep heart girth, great shoulder and hip, and is just really nicely built all the way around.

No comments:

Post a Comment