Monday, December 28, 2009

Meet Turbo

































I brought Turbo in with Cayenne today. Turbo is my yearling gelding, soon to be officially 2 years old! He was a result of a fundraiser breeding I purchased to raise money for Jack Bowser, an Appaloosa breeder who was injured a few years ago. Sparkee, my pretty Stardee mare, is Turbo's dam. I sold Sparkee to some nice people this summer as a trail/all-around horse. I miss her but she's getting ridden more than she did with me. Turbo's sire is Dreams Reward, a Dreamfinder son out of a Skip's Reward daughter. Turbo is a sweetie and one of the last of my horses who don't really fall into the "working" category that I've discovered I like so well. He's a chestnut with a light dorsal stripe (not really enough to be an honest red dun) with a little bit of frosting on his hips. He has a pretty little head and a great personality.

I've saddled and ponied Turbo many times and also hauled him to practice on an extreme trail course this fall. He's trusting of people and does well on trail obstacles. He walks over tarps and wooden bridges, crosses water, ground drives, I can rub anything on him and swing stuff around him and pretty much do anything else I can think of. Anyhow, I trimmed his feet today and saddled him just for the heck of it. I decided not to pony him with his shortened hooves and our hard ground so I just turned him out in the round pen with his saddle on while I rode Cayenne.

My goals with Turbo are to continue letting him grow up and then start him under saddle and sell him. I think he'll make a great all-around horse. He may be a good non-pro or youth horse with his disposition.

I also rode butterball Smarty today. What a jiggly little guy! He was so happy to get out and do something! I didn't do much more than trot up the road and back but it was a good outing for him. I'm getting more used to Cayenne and she has a longer stride than he does. He's more like a pony!

No comments:

Post a Comment